We wish to keep alive the memory of the murdered Jewish inhabitants that lived in Vienna before the Holocaust. Their culture and tradition was an important part of Viennese life and their huge impact is still visible today. In this spirit we set the “Stones of Remembrance” in an effort to memorialize the former inhabitants in the places where they once lived.
Association “Stones of Remembrance”
Elisabeth Ben David-Hindler
These aims were altered and took share during the course of the project’s development.
- We want to remember the destinies of the murdered Jewish people thereby providing a place for them in their former home districts.
- The “Stones of Remembrance” are a means of commemorating the victims for their great-grandchildren, grandchildren, children, and siblings.. For some people the project is the end of a process that helps them to find peace and closure.
The traumas that the families have suffered cannot be healed, but our desire is to help relieve the pain as much as possible.
Part of our contribution is to show that in Vienna and Austria something has changed. This means a lot to the surviving family members.
- Our projects are partly financed by sponsorships, building-stones and donations. This is not only a financial support. It is very important for us that many people participate in developing the project.
Our intention is to include many people in the way we have chosen to deal with the past. The more people that are involved, the bigger the impact will be. We extend our project to all people, not only people of Jewish origin.
The participation means a lot to the supporters and is also meaningful on a personal level.
- We raise the consciousness of those that walk past the stones by making them reflect on the Viennese history.
- We impact public space by placing the “Stones of Remembrance” and contribute to the awareness of this important issue among the population as a whole.